Organizations are quickly adapting to Bimodal DevOps processes. The aim is to enhance business agility, and the main obstacle in this path is Segregation of Duties(SoD). Blockchain DevOps is gaining popularity as a potential solution. The intrinsic characteristics of blockchain will naturally warrant effective SoD compliance. This will increase product dispatch efficiency and organizational agility.
The Fundamentals of DevOps
DevOps represents a combination of two processes- Software development(Dev) and Operations(Ops). Organizations strive for a workplace that prioritizes interdepartmental integration and automation. A successful setup enhances product delivery speed.
The DevOps Workspace
A DevOps environment warrants remedial measures against unauthorized activity or unscheduled change. As such, delivery parameters need to be monitored and audited.
Parameters may include:
- Overseeing delivery artifacts.
- Tracking changes in code and release tags.
- Build authorization before production.
- Role-centric production control access.
- Pending delivery requests, authorizations, and daily activities.
Advantages of DevOps
DevOps adds the following advantages:
- Accelerate SDLC(Software Development Life Cycle)
- Continuous AGILE implementation.
- Process change control.
- Quick Deployment.
- Error prevention.
- Automation is possible.
- Lower operational costs.
Businesses new to the DevOps concept may have difficulties in setting up the pilot framework. It is not just about recruiting the right resources or strategy. Having the optimal DevOps Tool Stack for proper implementation is necessary for consistent growth and delivering high-quality products before the deadline.
HashCash Consultants, a global blockchain development company, provides state-of-the-art DevOps Services that lead to optimization of energy and output. The company offers its expertise and solutions to organizations from all sectors.
Bimodal DevOps Strategy
Gartner indicates two possible ways for IT/software companies to deliver products and meet current fast-paced demands. The bimodal IT model refers to the practice of managing both these modes of IT delivery.
The first mode is conventional. It focuses on stability, safety, and accuracy. The second mode is analytical and nonlinear in nature, striving for speed and agility. This dual model asserted a simultaneous increase in both speed and quality is not possible.
DevOps practitioners discredited this statement in the 2015 State of DevOps Report. Strategists later combined elements of the Bimodal IT model to formulate what we know as the Bimodal DevOps Strategy.
Based on decentralization and data exchange, blockchain technology borrows heavily from cryptography, game theory, and P2P networking. A distributed ledger acts as the database, tracking the ever-increasing list of encrypted transactions.
Characteristics of Blockchain Technology
Enterprises all over the world are harnessing the power of blockchain for several reasons.
Blockchain has the following key characteristics:
- Decentralization: A blockchain database network has no central figure.
- Synchronicity: Activities are automatically updated across the entire network, in real-time.
- Traceability: All transactions(or data exchanges) are recorded with timestamps.
- Tamper-proof: Information can not be manipulated due to linking and group authentication algorithms.
- High Security: Data exchanges are individually encrypted.
- Scalability: Members can be easily added through the network.
- Collaborative: A new record is featured through the network only after a valid authentication from the majority.
- Auditability: Authorization or digital signatures tie each party to the transfer in real-time. Specific blockchain types can reveal actual identities as and when necessary.
- Programmability: Smart Contract codes allow the embedding of automated rules within the network. On meeting predefined conditions, the rules are executed.
Also Read: Diverse Businesses May ‘Glow’ on the Blockchain Circuit: HashCash
Enterprise DevOps Blockchain(EDOB)
EDOB solutions function on blockchains(single-chain or multi-chain) and follow agile DevOps activities.
Components of the solution include:
- Automatic recording of transactions or activities on the EDOB.
- Member nodes function in the EDOB- a permissioned blockchain network.
- Smart Contracts follow each transaction- be it DevOps requests, authorizations, or other activities.
- Each transaction records module ownership, changes, validity, and authorization.
- The exchanges can be individually processed and verified.
Also Read: Blockchain – Bilateral or Multilateral?
Advantages of EDOB
Bimodal DevOps strategy running on the EDOB network has several benefits.
The most important ones are as follows:
- Higher Organizational Transparency.
- Improved Process Auditability.
- Improved network security,
- Higher traceability.
- Faster productivity with higher accuracy and authenticity.
- Inbuilt smart Contracts permit dynamic/impromptu requirements compliance.
- Effortless switching between conventional and agile delivery.
- Better Scalability.
Guidelines on EDOB Implementation
- Define the scope of your enterprise.
- Design a map for all necessary activities.
- Implement new rules through smart contracts in EDOB.
- Test previous data and analyze
- Mitigate and reduce damage from SoD conflict violations.
- Find permanent correctional remedies for SoD conflicts.